Monday, July 7, 2008

For Glynna

I wanted to go on and on about my wife for a bit, if you will bear with me.

When I was courting Glynna WAAYYY back in 1991 and early 1992, I wrote her a couple of poems, cause I am just that kind of romantic guy. =)

One of them, I think, may have been inspired and definitely caught how I felt about her at the time, and still do today. It was entitled "I Wish"...and I wish I had a copy so I could post the whole thing. =)

More...

But one line has stuck with me till today. It goes something like this:

"I wish
that the paths we've trod,
'though divined by a loving God,
were one."

It is weird, but I honestly cannot fathom not being with her. I have a hard time remembering what it was like before. And now, I think more often of "we", instead of "me".

e.e.cummings wrote:

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)

i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can
hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

I carry her heart in my heart. I could, would, never do anything knowingly to hurt her, as her heart is my heart. I know that I, at times, do her harm, but I repent it immediately thereafter and it pains me for days.

I always feel like I had just stepped on a beautiful flower, and bruised its petals. I know that the word, once spoken, can never be unspoken, and I hate when I slip, and say the wrong thing, and I have to see her hurting because of me. I wish I could take them all back. I hope I am getting better.

I feel I don't deserve what she offers to me, but I accept it with humble gratitude. I owe her that, at the least.

I don't take this for granted, even though the oaf that I am, I at times fail to let her know the most important thing...and Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets" said it best:

"You make me want to be a better man."

No comments: