Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day One...Again

I planned to put in my weight each week...for one, to show my courage (and idiocy), but mainly to truly show my progress, but I need a digital scale first, so tomorrow I will purchase a new scale and tell the world the scary truth. When I get the courage to go back to Weight Watchers...hopefully this week...I will let you know the weight their scales report as well.

I get 22 points a day. It may seem like a lot but when your favorite foods have a high points value, the points dwindle away quickly. Fortunately, over the years, I have found several wonderful tricks that work like a charm. You have probably heard the saying that if you want to be a wealthy person then you have to do what the wealthy people do. The same principle applies to "skinny people". They are not just magically skinny no matter what they eat. They have to be careful about the calories they consume, just like the rest of us. Here are a few tricks I have learned from them to help me feel satiated:

First of all, NEVER deprive yourself. Never say "I can not have that." It is impossible to be successful at anything, for me anyway, if I feel deprived or cheated. I end up quitting. But when I want something to eat, I just do a few things FIRST.

I drink at least 16 ounces of water and I eat a large salad or some other kind of vegetable. Then, I have whatever it is that I wanted. I am still able to enjoy my guilty pleasure without feeling cheated...but I trick myself. After the water and the veggies, I feel too full to eat a whole piece of cake, or a large piece of lasagna, for example. IT WORKS. I kid you not!

This is what has worked for me for the last three years. When I put 20 pounds back on, I was not drinking my water or eating sufficient vegetables. Of course, writing everything down that you eat or drink also helps tremendously to keep you on track.

Today I did well. I ate a veggie filled egg-beater omelette, 1/3 of a grilled chicked sandwich, and a small piece of cherry cheesecake. I ate delicious tasting food and felt satisfied, and was still able to enjoy a little endulgance. ( I drank LOTS of water today too...I had to use the potty four times in a two hour period...That is the only minor problem to the water issue. ha ha. It's worth it though!) I am happy and so hopeful about getting back on track again!

1 comment:

Superstar said...

You said the are not magically skinny but I can name a few! So don't beat yourself up! Fat people are pretty too. And besides, you're pretty, and thin! You aren't perfectly skinny, but at least you are shapely. Super skinny people are not shapely where it matters, like in the hips, chest, and butt. No offense to any skinny people reading this.