Tuesday, December 30, 2008

That's all folks...

Well, that's it.

My last day with Cummins passed with little fanfare. I got to say goodbye to everyone I worked with at the warehouse, and I was very happy to see that everyone was, for the most part, in a pretty positive mood. It was a little somber to say "Nice working with you. Glad I got to know you. Good luck." knowing most of them I would never see again. I didn't shed any tears until the drive home, and I think that was mostly just letting the stress out.

I guess on the plus side there is no more winter commute. Save gas too. Also, I may have a chance to sleep in for a while. That would be nice. And...no more meetings! Woohoo! Well, that's about all I can think of for the bright side kind of stuff, pretty lame huh?

I truly enjoyed my almost 2 years with Cummins and honestly do not hold any bitter feelings for them letting us go. It is just business after all. I just hope this round of cuts was enough and no one else will have to lose their jobs. That no one else will have to wonder what comes next far sooner than they should have to worry about that.

I have put out some feelers, and have been contacted by a couple of head-hunters, but nothing concrete has come along yet as far as jobs are concerned. I am hopeful about a possibility in Phoenix which is the best lead yet. I am sure I will hear more from them after the holiday, but you never know, right. All that stuff about counting your chickens applies here.

The one thing that will make this a harder transition is that if I am going to have a real chance at finding something quickly, then we will likely be moving again. Very few jobs in my field at my level in Utah, far more in other states. As long as I recognize that I can at least focus my search in the southern lattitudes. It will make it a little less painful on Glynna to at least move where it is warm.

Of course, the first and best plan is to stay put, let the kids finish out school here. This next move will be hardest on them. Glynna and I knew going into it that moving up in my career would likely mean moving, and we are adventurous enough that it is actually something we enjoy. But we have to think of the kids too. For them it will be harder. We have uprooted them enough. God willing, we will stay here.

I have checked most all job boards I can think of, and have even registered with a few pay sites, like The Ladders. (that link should take you to my resume....if you know anyone looking for a logistics manager, feel free to pass it along =) I am pretty confident something will come my way, hopefully before the severance package ends. If not, all we can do is put it in God's hands and trust that he has better things in store for us, whatever they may be.

So goodbye Cummins. I will miss everyone I worked with. It was the best job I have ever had...

...so far!

3 comments:

The Todd Queen said...

Hey Sweety, everything is going to work out. I just know it. Our family is resilient...One way or another, we always get through and God keeps on loving us and giving us another chance even when we are being idiots...which is alot of the time...he he...I will enjoy having you around for a little while. I miss you when we are apart...even when it is only for a few hours...I love you, babe.

Perkygoth said...

Hey todd queen needs to send her sister-in-law an email!

Superstar said...

First things first, Perkygoth, that picture is satarting to freak me out. And which of todd queen's sister-in-laws?
Now that that's outta the way, Daddy, I'm glad you're thinking of us. But if you move me to Pheonix I'm living with Tara. (maybe) Though it does sound like a new adventure and I love traveling as much as the next girl, I don't think I could stand being away from Natalie (neither can jordan) or Tara. I think I'd die, THEN I'd start bawling. And I'd never shut up. Ever.
But you do what you've gotta do.
Luv ya Daddy. Best of luck.
Love, Pete