Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A fine Merry Christmas to me...more bad news

I hate to keep posting bad news, but this last week was a doozy. My boss and our HR rep came out last Monday from Kentucky, unannounced. I had a phone call scheduled with him on Monday, but had no clue he was coming here until he literally walked into my office. I figured that can't be a good thing...and unfortunately I was right.

They told me that Cummins was trying to be proactive about the current economic environment. We already had seen our daily shipping volume decrease by about 20%, which necessitated dropping 5 people from our work force. The decision now was that they need to consolidate operations within markets, meaning they only want one distribution center in North America. So they are shutting us down and we are all being laid off. Our last official working day is December 30th.

Some Merry Christmas, huh?

I am a little worried about finding a new job. We have a neighbor who has been out of work for 9 months. I hear about more people losing their jobs and not being able to find anything. It is somewhat scary. I am hopeful, however, and I think I have a good background to get into something else relatively soon. It will probably pay off that I have experience in many fields and have worn many hats in my career. I hope it will anyway.

I guess come January I will have some more time to blog. I do get a 3 month severance package, so that will help. I am also going to get certified in daycare so we can take on more kids in Glynna's daycare, Kiddlywinks. I guess that was pretty good forsight, huh? We can effectively double her income, and my mom is thinking about joining us instead of her current job, which will help even more. Of course we may be driven nuts with that many kids running around the house, but I hear that duct tape can work wonders! =)

I will use this space to keep everyone updated on my job hunt. I am also considering putting together a "resume blog" with the hope of luring in potential employers.

You can also check out my profile on LinkedIn.

I guess that is about it for now.

3 comments:

JTMChand said...

So Sorry to hear this news!!!

I will keep you all in my prayers!!

Love and Hugs, Tree

Bryn and Blaine said...

That is horrible. Why do they do this to people in December. My dad was just told that they postponed their announcement of lay offs until January 17th. Big whoop dee do. I would rather just know that sit around during the holidays trying to figure out if I have a job or not or if I need to find one. Good luck in the job hunt. I hope all goes well. I feel bad because it was a job you enjoyed.

Love Bryn

Tom & Angie said...

oh Chad... I am so sorry!!!! Angry and sad for you at the same time... I want to use words that are probably not appropriate on here... like calling them puckers with a CAPITAL "F"... sorry I guess I will stop with the tirade. Chad you Glynna and the kids are as always in my heart! Take care, and have fun daycaring... glad its you and not me! Just teasing :-)